CFUW Nanaimo offers scholarships, awards and bursaries to local female students each year. Scholarship funds are raised through the generous donations of our members as well as a variety of fund-raising activities. We continue to add to our endowment, which is held at the Vancouver Island University Foundation, as well as ensure that our Nanaimo-Ladysmith School District 68 awards are fully funded.
Donations are gratefully accepted.
CFUW Nanaimo Scholarship Fund is a registered charity. Donations over $20 are eligible for a charitable tax receipt. Please contact our treasurer for email transfer or cheque payment instructions.
CFUW Nanaimo funds a variety of awards:
1. High School Awards, School District 68 NLSF
- The CFUW Nanaimo Scholarship – Degree – $1,600
- CFUW Nanaimo Bursary #1 – $1,200
- CFUW Nanaimo Bursary #2 – $1,200
- CFUW Nanaimo Scholarship – Diploma – $1,300
- CFUW Nanaimo Scholarship – Ladysmith – $1,100
2. Vancouver Island University Awards
- CFUW Nanaimo Scholarship – $1,500
- CFUW Nanaimo Re-Entry Award – $1,500
- CFUW Nanaimo Bursary – $1,000
- CFUW Nanaimo Adult Basic Education Award – $1,000
- CFUW Nanaimo Margaret Strongitharm Memorial Award – $1,500
- CFUW Nanaimo Ocean Sciences/Marine Biology Celebration Award CFUW 100th Anniversary – $2,000
- CFUW Nanaimo Susan Murphy Memorial Award – $2,000
- CFUW Nanaimo Clemente Award of $500 towards tuition for a full-credit course at VIU is made annually, at the discretion of the Scholarship Committee, to a female student in the Clemente Program, as recommended by the Program’s Director. This Clemente Program is offered by Vancouver Island University as a no cost adult learning course for individuals of low economic and educational opportunities designed to allow them the opportunity to expand their horizons.
CFUW Nanaimo respects and safeguards the privacy of our award recipients.
News from VIU click here.
3. Short-term Awards
From 2020 – 2022 (one award each year), with selection managed by the Awards Committee of Ladysmith Secondary School, disbursement managed by Nanaimo-Ladysmith Schools Foundation:
- CFUW Nanaimo Joan Blick Memorial Scholarship – Ladysmith – $1,160
From 2019 – 2023 (one award each year), with selection and disbursement managed by VIU Financial Aid and Awards Office:
- CFUW Nanaimo Vilma Dubé Memorial Award – $1,000
4. CFUW National
CFUW Nanaimo members also donate annually to our CFUW national charity, the CFUW Charitable Trust which funds and awards fellowships and awards at the post graduate level. For details and application information, please visit www.cfuwcharitabletrust.ca
To read more about the history of CFUW scholarships click here.