Action, Advocacy, Education since 1945
CFUW Purposes and Goals
- Promote high standards of public education in Canada, advanced study and research by women, and a sound concept of lifelong learning.
- Advocate for the advancement of the status of women, human rights and the common good locally, nationally and internationally.
- Promote cooperation, networking, support and understanding among women.
- Encourage and enable women to apply their knowledge and skills in leadership and decision-making in all aspects of the political, social, cultural, educational and scientific fields.
Recent advocacy initiatives and participation:
Advocacy spans a great gamut of activities in support of women in our community.
Here are some of the key activities in which our members have or are currently participating:
- During the 2020 16 Days of Activism Against Gender-based Violence, we teamed up with the VIU Faculty Association’s Status of Women Committee asking community members to voice their support for 16 days of activism against gender-based violence. View the 21 one-minute videos in support of the 16 days of Activism.
- During the 2020 16 Days, the Nanaimo Bastion was lit up in orange lights as part of the “Orange the World” campaign to symbolize a brighter future. The City of Nanaimo proclaimed Nov 25 – Dec 10 as UNiTE TO END VIOLENCE AGAINST WOMEN week.
- The fifth annual Women’s History Month Celebration event was held on October 17, 2020. We celebrated the history of the women of CFUW Nanaimo. Storyteller Margaret Murphy told the fascinating highlights of 75 years (1945-2020) of Action, Advocacy and Education.
- Hosted the fourth annual Women’s History Month Celebration Luncheon in October 2019 featuring guest speaker Josie Osbourne, Mayor of Tofino. Speakers in previous years have included: Merna Forster who championed women appearing on Canadian banknotes, award winning author Susan Juby, and Louise Mandell, Chancellor of Vancouver Island University.
- Provided outreach support in 2017, 2018 and 2019 to Tuition Waiver Students at VIU with a FriendsGiving turkey dinner in October and the distribution of Holiday Care Baskets in December. We are exploring other ways to be supportive during the suspension of in person activities at VIU due to Covid 19.
- Member of the Nanaimo Women’s Action Committee (a consortium of local women’s groups including Haven House, Nanaimo Family Life, Society for Equity, Inclusion, & Advocacy, VIU Student Union, VIUFA Status of Women Committee and Zonta).
- Participated in activities marking the 16 Days of Activism against Gender based Violence, November 25 – December 10, 2019, joining other members of the Nanaimo Women’s Action Committee. Activities included having the Bastion lit up in orange lights as part of the “Orange the World” campaign to symbolize a brighter future and gathering for a vigil to mark the 30th anniversary of the massacre of women at the Ecole Polytechnique.
- Volunteered and a couple members walked at the Coldest Night of the Year, raising awareness and funds to help Island Crisis Care Society and Samaritan House.
- Participating in the CFUW Long Term Care Study Group in response to the crisis in LTC precipitated by Covid 19.
- Participated in a CFUW Zoom presentation on “Challenges of Women Around the World due to Covid 19” with Senator Marilou McPhedron and MP Brenda Shanahan.