Action, Advocacy, Education since 1945
CFUW Purposes and Goals
- Promote high standards of public education in Canada, advanced study and research by women, and a sound concept of lifelong learning.
- Advocate for the advancement of the status of women, human rights and the common good locally, nationally and internationally.
- Promote cooperation, networking, support and understanding among women.
- Encourage and enable women to apply their knowledge and skills in leadership and decision-making in all aspects of the political, social, cultural, educational and scientific fields.
Recent advocacy initiatives and participation:
- Hosted the first Persons Day celebration in October with Merna Forster who championed women on the Canadian banknote.
- Participated in Nanaimo’s first formal Homelessness Survey.
- Participated in the Sisters in Sprit Vigil to remember missing and murdered Aboriginal women.
- Helped the Nanaimo Women’s Resources Centre with their International Women’s Day brunch for clients.
- Met with MP Sheila Malcolmson on CFUW policy issues.
- Held a Study Group on the topic of Youth Aging Out of Foster Care.
- Participated in the Women’s March for justice and equality for all.
- Wrote VIU President, Dr. Ralph Nilson, about new mandated provincial legislation (Bill 23) on VIU’s draft Sexual Misconduct Policy and Procedure and were invited to participate in the process.
- Member of the Nanaimo Women’s Action Committee (a consortium of local women’s groups (Haven, Nanaimo Family Life, Women’s Resource Centre, VIU Student Union Rep., VIU Status of Women Committee and Zonta).
- Volunteered and walked at the Coldest Night of the Year to help Island Crisis Care Society and Samaritan House